Here are some tips on taking (and passing) the Scrum.org Professional Scrum Master III (PSM III) assessment and gaining certification from Scrum.org.
To strengthen your chances of passing you should first consider attending a Professional Scrum Master course from Scrum.org. This course covers all the material you will need to prepare for PSM III. The theory will be brought to life with real-world examples from your instructor and will set you up well to take
You should also consider attending a Scrum.org Professional Scrum Master II course. The content covered and the 2 days spent exploring advanced Scrum Master topics will make passing the PSM III assessment significantly more likely.
To prepare for the assessment, firstly review the guidance from Scrum.org on how the PSM III assessment is structured so you know what to expect logistically.
Then take a look at my tips on passing the Professional Scrum Master I (PSM I) and the Professional Scrum Master II (PSM II) assessments. These assessments are prerequisites and so you must pass them before moving onto the more challenging PSM III assessment.
If you want to see some sample questions and learn how to answer them, try our Ultimate Scrum Master III (PSM III) Practice Questions.
Try our Ultimate Professional Scrum Master III (PSM III) Practice Assessment to experience a realistic assessment and receive graded answers so you can understand if you are ready for the real thing. This is not created or endorsed by Scrum.org.
Take our Simple Guide To Scrum Video Course. This covers much of the content from our live courses and is a fast, effective and low-cost way to learn about Scrum.
The key to passing PSM III is having a very strong understanding of Scrum theory, combined with a number of years of solid experience using Scrum in the real world. A strong pass mark in the PSM I and PSM II assessments should mean you are well on the way to having the right level of theory knowledge.
If you would like to join one of my classes, you can see my upcoming PSM class list here. I operate all over the world so you will find a course running in a city near you.
I would also strongly suggest reading these books (as a minimum):
Some Final Tips:
- If you have attended a Scrum.org course, review all the examples from the class material and practice writing out short paragraph answers for the best way to solve the exercises.
- Aim to make a few strong points in each answer to showcase what you know.
- Short answers are not necessarily a bad thing, but make sure you answer all parts of the question.
- Abbreviations are fine as long as they are in common usage and Scrum.org will not struggle to know what you mean.
- Use real-world examples from your own experience where you can.
- Do not include material copied verbatim from other sources or other assessment takers. This does not demonstrate knowledge or understanding and Scrum.org are likely to detect it. Use your own words.
- Remember that Scrum is about inspection and adaptation and you may need to utilise this approach to successfully navigate the advanced assessments.
PSM III is difficult and less than 1000 people have achieved it to date. However it is not impossible so if you prepare well, understand the theory underpinning Scrum and have some solid real-world experience with Scrum you should be well placed to pass and achieve this distinguishing certification.
Please let me know how you find the PSM III assessment via the comments section below. Good luck!
Ask Us Anything27th July 2022
New Ultimate Scrum Practice Assessments Launched8th July 2022
How Can I Get My First Job As A Scrum Master? – Tips20th June 2022
Share this Post