I received a question from a new Scrum Master who attended one of my recent Scrum.org Professional Scrum Master courses. His question was:
“Next week I start my first role as a scrum master after deciding to have a career change. Do you have any new starter tips (do’s & don’ts) that you can share?”
Here are my top new starter Scrum Master tips:
1. Do listen, a lot, and then some more.
2. Do get transparency for yourself around the current situation
3. Do ask what help they need
1. Don’t start telling them what to do, at least not straight away
2. Don’t start enforcing Scrum
3. Don’t feel you have to have all the answers. No one does. Especially those that say they do!
This will only get you so far, but I believe it is the best way to start.
The Scrum Master is Simon Kneafsey. Simon is a Professional Scrum Trainer with Scrum.org, the home of Scrum run by Scrum co-creator, Ken Schwaber. Simon offers Professional Scrum Certification training courses globally and works with clients to introduce Scrum to their organisations.
Scrum.org Professional Scrum Courses July – September 20194th September 2019
Why You Should Attend My Scrum.org Professional Scrum With User Experience Course14th August 2019
Top Tips For A New Scrum Master9th July 2019
Share this Post