26th November 2019 – This post has been updated to reflect the changes to the Professional Scrum Product Owner assessments and certifications that have been announced by Scrum.org. What was PSPO II has been renamed to PSPO III. A new PSPO II assessment and certification has been created to take its place.
Professional Scrum Product Owner II (PSPO II) is an advanced level assessment from Scrum.org aimed at demonstrating that you know Scrum theory and how to apply it in the real world.
The PSPO II assessment is positioned between PSPO I and PSPO III in terms of difficulty and is an achievable certification for those that have attended a Professional Scrum Product Owner course and/or have sufficient real world experience.
The PSPO II assessment is structured in a similar way to PSPO I. It is comprised of 40 multiple-choice questions. You have 60 minutes to complete the assessment and must score 85%+ to achieve the certification. As with all Scrum.org assessments, it is challenging and designed to test your real understanding of Scrum.
How Do I Pass The PSPO II Assessment?
The first and best preparation for the Professional Scrum Product Owner II (PSPO II) assessment is to attend the Scrum.org Professional Scrum Product Owner course. It will teach you all the theory you need with real-world examples to bring your learning to life. It is of course possible to take and pass PSPO II without attending a course if you have sufficient knowledge and experience.
Next you should consider attending a Scrum.org Professional Scrum Product Owner – Advanced course. Whilst not essential to pass PSPO II, the content covered and the 2 days spent exploring advanced Product Owner topics will make passing the assessment significantly easier.
When you are ready to take PSPO II, the same preparation tips apply for PSPO II as PSPO I. So I would suggest reviewing my tips for PSPO I and refreshing your knowledge of the Scrum Guide and other areas as you feel appropriate.
Here are some further tips that helped me:
- Read and understand the Scrum.org Evidence Based Management Guide.
- Favour any answer that promotes experimentation and making data-based decisions.
- Answer all the questions even if you have to make an educated guess. The assessment is not negatively marked.
- Read the following blog posts on the Scrum.org site:
- The assessment includes lots of multiple answer questions including a few ‘Select all answers that apply’ that are especially challenging. Be especially careful with these.
- As with all Scrum.org assessments, some questions are very much it depends. Don’t get stuck on these. Pick an answer, note down the question number and come back to these tougher questions once you have been through all the questions once. You want to ensure you don’t run out of time and spend the most time on the questions where it will have a benefit.
- If you have attended a Scrum.org Professional Scrum Product Owner – Advanced course, make use of the free 2nd attempt at the assessment that is offered (if you take your first attempt and fail within 14 days of the class). This is a big advantage and will be absolutley vital to many who seek to pass the assessment.
- Try our free PSPO II Practice Assessment to see if you are ready for the real thing.
- You can also take our paid Ultimate Professional Scrum Product Owner II (PSPO II) Practice Assessment. This offers 20 questions and is the best and most comprehensive PSPO II practice assessment available anywhere.
- Contact us with your questions. We like it when you do!
Please let me know how you find the Professional Scrum Product Owner II (PSPO II) assessment via the comments below. Scrum.org are always looking to develop their assessments so your feedback will be valuable in helping them improve these offerings. Good luck!
How I Got Fired As A Scrum Master26th October 2021
What Day Of The Week Should We Start The Sprint?6th October 2021
The 2 Best Product Owners I Ever Worked With – The Proxy Product Owner8th September 2021
Share this Post