So you took the leap and attempted the Professional Scrum Master I (PSM I) Assessment From Scrum.org.
You knew it was tough before you started. 80 questions in 60 minutes and an 85% passing mark. You came close, but sadly not close enough to achieve the certification.
So what should you do now?
The good news is that you can resit the assessment immediately, but you will need to purchase another attempt from Scrum.org in order to do so. It can get expensive, so you want to make sure you can pass on your next attempt.
The only exception to this is if you attend a Scrum.org Professional Scrum Master course, and then fail the PSM I assessment within 14 days of completing the course. In this case Scrum.org will provide you with a 2nd free attempt (as of 12th September 2017).
Here are my tips on retaking and passing the Scrum.org Professional Scrum Master I (PSM I) assessment and gaining the certification:
- Revisit the tips in my post How To Pass The Professional Scrum Master I (PSM I) Assessment From Scrum.org. Ensure you follow the advice here, especially regarding the practice assessments
- Strongly consider attending a Scrum.org Professional Scrum Master course Learning in a facilitated environment with an experienced Trainer and others in a similar position will help you learn a significant amount in a short time.
- Re-read the Scrum Guide and get more familiar with it. This is the primary source of all answers for the assessment
- Read Scrum – A Pocket Guide by Gunther Verheyen. This book will boost your chances of a pass significantly.
- Take our Ultimate Scrum Master & Product Owner Practice Assessment. This will provide 500+ sample questions and will make a huge difference in the probability of a pass with your next attempt.
- Contact us with your questions. We like it when you do!
Be bold and go for it again sooner rather than later. You will have learnt a lot from your first attempt so if you follow the steps above you should be in a good position to pass.
I hope this information will help you to pass. Let me know how you get on via the comments below. Good luck!
How Can I Get My First Job As A Scrum Master?18th January 2021
Applying Professional Scrum – The New Name For Professional Scrum Foundations11th January 2021
Ultimate Professional Scrum Master II (PSM II) Practice Assessment8th January 2021
Share this Post