Scrum is an Agile framework for completing complex work. It was originally created for software development, but it works well for any form of complex work.
Scrum cuts through complexity to focus on building products iteratively and incrementally using an empirical approach. The Scrum framework is simple to learn and use. It can help you to rapidly build market-leading products.
Who Uses Scrum?
- Scrum is the most widely adopted agile framework for complex product development and is used by tens of thousands of organisations and millions of people worldwide.
- Scrum has been around for 25+ years and is a proven framework for successful product development.
- Any organisation that has a complex projects or products can benefit from Scrum.
- Scrum is used by Facebook, Google, Microsoft, the U.S and U.K. Governments, Spotify, the Daily Mail, The Times & Sunday Times, Sky, The European Space Agency, Twitter, Digital Agencies, Universities and many many others.
Scrum In 30 Seconds:
- A Product Owner represents the interests of customers & users and creates an ordered list of work called a Product Backlog.
- During Sprint Planning, the Developers that will carry out the work pull a subset from the top of the Product Backlog, decide how to carry out this work and create a plan of how to do so, called a Sprint Backlog.
- The Developers have a time-boxed period called a Sprint of less than 1 month to complete the work.
- The Developers meet each day at a Daily Scrum to assess their progress and plan the next 24 hours.
- During the Sprint, a Scrum Master keeps the team focused on its work and helps them overcome issues impeding progress.
- At the end of the Sprint, the work will be Done, usable and ready to present to a stakeholder.
- A Sprint Review is held where the Scrum Team and stakeholders inspect the Done work and decide what to do next based on the latest insights into the product.
- The Sprint ends with a Sprint Retrospective where the Scrum Team plans ways to improve their ways of working.
- The cycle continues with the start of a new Sprint and the process repeats.
How Will Scrum Work For You?
- Scrum has the power to transform the way projects are run and products are developed across every business and industry.
- By using Scrum, you will become more agile, discovering how to react more quickly and effectively to inevitable change.
- Prioritise large to-do lists into manageable tasks with improved teamwork, higher quality and faster results.
- Whether you’re working on the next big app, building an enterprise level web site or a complex billing system, Scrum will help you innovate, reduce risk and create the best possible product.
Scrum Is A Simple Framework Based on 3 Ideas:
1) Reduce Complexity
- Reduce complex work into smaller, simpler and more manageable units.
- Reduce large organisational structures into smaller, more autonomous teams.
- Reduce lengthy projects into short cycles with completed work available at the end of each cycle.
2) Inspect and adapt your process and plan
- Plan in detail a short period of work based on your learning’s from earlier Sprints.
- Use empiricism to regularly revisit plans, risks and assumptions and update them as you learn more.
- Optimise the value delivered by your product. Deliver the most valuable work first and complete it!
- Continuously improve your processes and ways of working to create a better product.
3) Create transparency
- People make better decisions with the right information available.
We have helped 10,000+ people to learn Scrum and we can help you!
Learn via video, short or long-form reading, email, live virtual or in-person courses. Take our practice assessments to test your understanding. We have something for everyone, whichever way you prefer to learn.