The Scrum.org Professional Scrum Master I (PSM I) assessment is a 60 minute timeboxed assessment where you will answer 80 questions in English of multiple choice type.
You get one attempt and you decide when and where to take it. There is no expiration date. You are not required to attend an assessment centre and can take it from your own home or workplace.
Further details on what to expect from the assessment can be found on the Scrum.org PSM I assessment page.
Here are some tips on taking (and passing) the Scrum.org Professional Scrum Master I (PSM I) assessment and gaining certification:
- Ideally, attend a Scrum.org Professional Scrum Master course
- Alternatively, take our Simple Scrum Video Course to learn faster and at lower cost.
- Read the Scrum Guide and get really familiar with it. This is the primary source of answers for the assessment
- Download our Scrum 1 Pager. It’s great for reference and revision. Review out other Simple Guide To Scrum resources.
- Review the Scrum Glossary for quick definitions of key terms
- Time permitting, review the Scrum Master Learning Path at Scrum.org which contains lots of free valuable learning resources.
- Do the Scrum Open assessment until you can score 100%.
- Take our free Professional Scrum Master I (PSM I) Practice Assessment. This offers different questions to the Scrum.org Open assessment so is an additional opportunity to test your knowledge in advance of sitting the real assessment.
- Take our paid Ultimate Scrum Master & Product Owner Practice Assessment. This offers 500+ questions and is the best and most comprehensive practice assessment available anywhere.
When you are ready to take the assessment for real:
- Use the link in the email you will have received from Scrum.org
- Have the Scrum Guide and the Scrum Glossary to hand and use it to look up what you need
- Don’t spend too long on each question. If unsure of an answer, note down the question number and move on. Completing all the questions in the time box can be challenging.
- Answer all the questions even if you have to make an educated guess. The assessment is not negatively marked.
- Come back to the hard questions at the end and use your time to think them over.
- Google the question if really unsure, but be careful as this takes time and there are lots of unreliable sources out there.
- If time permits, check all your answers before the end.
- Remember the Scrum Master is a coach and facilitator. They do not tell the team what to do or how to do it, except in matters relating to the Scrum framework.
You can resit the assessment if you need to, but you will need to purchase another attempt from Scrum.org. The only exception to this is if you attend a Scrum.org Professional Scrum Master Owner course, and then fail the PSM I assessment within 14 days of completing the course. In this case, Scrum.org will provide you with a 2nd free attempt (as of 12th September 2017).
I hope this information will help you to pass. Let me know how you get on via the comments below and good luck!
The 2 Best Product Owners I Ever Worked With – The Proxy Product Owner8th September 2021
The 2 Best Product Owners I Ever Worked With – The Empowered Product Owner27th August 2021
What Is It Like To Attend Our Scrum.org Professional Agile Leadership – Evidence-Based Management Course?27th August 2021
Share this Post